Fantasy, adventure and fortune all yours for the taking - if you can find it.
WHAT IS THE GREEN MOUNTAIN ADVENTURE CHALLENGE?
The Green Mountain Adventure Challenge is an epic real life action-adventure game. It is a legit physical fitness and mental challenge where you get clues and have to go find the solutions hidden in the forests, mountains, rivers, old buildings, etc around the local Vermont area.
Solve the clues right the first time and you'll spend no more than 2 days exploring ancient forests, climbing mountain summits, solving mysterious codes and enjoying spectacular Vermont scenery.
Perhaps the best part is the satisfaction you'll feel at having solved a series of mind-bending puzzles to discover a secret world hidden in plain sight!
When is the adventure challenge?
The 2017 Adventure Challenge is opens on Friday, May 26th, 2017 and stays open until Monday, September 4th. You can sign up today and begin the Challenge any day, including weekdays and weekends, within that period. The last day of the Challenge is Sept 4th, 2017 so you must complete it by then.
HOW DO I CHECK AVAILABILITY?
The Adventure Challenge game itself has unlimited availablity every day and does not sell out, so you do not need to make any reservations with us. The only reservation you need to make is with the inn you want to stay at (if you purchase the lodging package for 2). After you make your reservation, just show up at the inn and they will tell you where to begin! Have fun out there!
2017 Adventure Challenge
Getaway PRE-SALE for 2 PEOPLE
includes 2 nights lodging, breakfast each day, a lunch, the Adventure and more
- 2 nights (weekends and/or midweeks) anytime during Adventure Season from May 26th-Sept 4th, 2017, for 2 people in a standard room at any of the following Adventure Inns: Deerfield Valley Inn, The Grey Ghost (pet friendly), The Kitzhof, the Mountaineer Inn, The Big Bears, Cooper Hill Inn, West Dover Inn, The Weathervane
- 2 Adventure Passes
- Breakfast for 2 each morning and a light trail lunch for 2 one day
- Adventure kit for two that includes 2 shirts, 2 water bottles, 2 backpacks, 2 notebooks with pens
- $10 donation to our selected charity
- $10 donation to the grand prize cash pot
- Kids 15 and under are free to join their parents
- Minimum of two registered adults per package, so $399 total
- Additional charges for extra people, pets and upgrades may apply at innkeeper's discretion
- Vermont state lodging tax will be collected by the innkeeper
2017 Adventure Challenge Pass for 1
(lodging not included)
One pass to the 2017 Adventure Challenge valid for use anytime
from May 26th-Sept 4th, 2017
- $10 donation to our selected charity
- $10 donation into the grand prize cash pot
- No lodging or food included
- Add Adventure kit that includes (1) tshirt, (1) water bottle, (1) backpack and (1) lunch for $45 additional.
WHEN IS THE ADVENTURE CHALLENGE?
You can sign up for the Challenge any day before Sept 3, 2016. You have until Sept 5th to finish it. You can choose to complete the adventure on consecutive days or break it up into different days, completing it at your own pace.
WHAT KINDS OF MENTAL AND PHYSICAL CHALLENGES?
Hiking mountain summits, solving codes and riddles, decoding vague old maps, finding your way through dense Vermont forest and other challenges await. At some point, you may end up lost and confused and want to give up - that's when the real challenge begins.
About 35% of people that begin the Challenge give up and never finish it.
WHAT TRAILS DO I HAVE TO HIKE/BIKE?
As you go along the Challenge, you will find clues and maps. Some of the maps are very detailed, some are very vague. It is up to you to determine what the maps mean and choose which trails to follow and for how long to follow them. If you can't figure out the clues, you might end up wandering in circles for hours.
The trails range from easy to moderate with a few steep inclines. All of the trails are in Southern Vermont. You can hike, bike, walk or run the trails as you see fit.
WHAT IF I DON'T NEED TO STAY AT AN INN OR LODGE?
You do not need to purchase a Getaway Package to do the Adventure Challenge. If you already have another place to stay, you just need to purchase Adventure passes above ($95 each).
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
At minimum, you need to bring:
- Comfortable shoes and outdoor clothing
- Water and snacks for long days outdoors
- A camera or a smartphone with a camera
- A car to get around the area
- Bug spray
- A compass (optional)
In addition to this list, you're allowed to bring any items you think may help along the way.
WHERE DOES IT TAKE PLACE?
The Adventure Challenge takes place in the town of Dover, Vermont and surrounding towns.
WHAT IF WE HAVE MORE THAN 2 PEOPLE?
Each Adventure Getaway Package includes two nights lodging in one standard room. Some inns may allow extra people in the room at no additional charge. If you need a second room, you'll need to buy a second Getaway Package.
After you have secured your rooms, buy any additional Adventure passes below for the extra people. Remember, each Adventure Getaway Package includes two Adventure passes - so if you have 3 people in a room, you need to buy 1 extra Adventure pass below.
THIS SOUNDS LIKE AN EXTREME VACATION?
Yes, the Adventure Challenge is a mentally and physically demanding event. This is not a couple of nice days hiking through the woods. You will be challenged, and possibly frustrated at times, and it requires a basic level of physical fitness to complete.
If you were looking for a relaxing hiking vacation, we recommend visiting the "Hiking" and "Lodging" pages on this site for details on awesome hiking trails and discounted vacation deals that will give you a relaxing, enjoyable Vermont vacation.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COMPLETE?
The fastest time in past years was 1.5 days. Most people take a minimum of 2 days. You DO NOT need to camp or spend overnights in the forest.
WHAT IF SOMEONE COMPLETES THE CHALLENGE BEFORE ME?
The clues and secret objects to be found are permanent and will be there for you to find no matter when you begin. This is not a first come, first serve event. No one can take them away.
IS IT FOR KIDS OR ADULTS?
The adventure made is for both adults and teens. Due to the difficult nature of the challenges, children under 18 must have a parent with them at all times.
THE 2017 GREEN MOUNTAIN ADVENTURE CHALLENGE - BACKSTORY
The 2017 backstory will be released in early spring of 2017!
THE 2016 GREEN MOUNTAIN ADVENTURE CHALLENGE - WALKTHROUGH.
THIS ARE LAST YEAR'S GAME ANSWERS AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE 2017 CHALLENGE.
IT IS SIMPLY MEANT TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF HOW THE GAME HAS GONE IN THE PAST.
1) You receive the notebook with the strange stamp on the inside cover. Using alphabet-number substitution you get that 8 is "H" and 2 is "B", which translate the stamp to "The Hub".
2) At the Hub store up the street you find the Time Capsule with all of the clues you need on the table around it. You grab one of each map and clue set and away you go!
3) You had the choice to do Stratton or Dover first, it didn't matter.
4) Daniel Webster and The Stratton Fire Tower. Following the riddle and the map, you first stop at the Daniel Webster monument on your way to the Stratton trail parking area. You discover that DW was there in 1840 - the first piece of the Stratton key! Next you hike up the Long Trail to the Stratton Fire Tower, climb its 61 steps and see the incredible view. Now you have both pieces you need for the Stratton key: DW's year of 1840 and the number of tower steps which is 61. Doing the math from the Stratton clue, this gives you a Stratton Key of 1840-61=1779. Now on to Dover!
EASTER EGG: Did you notice the two arrows on the Stratton map? One where the parking area is, pointing up the trail to the otehr arrow at the top? See all those dashes in between them that you thought simply denoated the trail? Guess how many dashes there are... yup... 61. You never had to climb the mountain (but you're probably glad you did for the view).
5) While the Stratton part was physically demanding but mentally simple, the Dover "Password Scramble" was the opposite. After reading it 2 or 3 times you figure out from the story that there are 4 Dover bartenders that each have a secret word to give you. These 4 words they give you will complete the 4 missing words at the end of the Dover riddle, leading you to the location of the Dover key. But first you have to figure out what the passwords are to give the bartenders AND figure out which bartenders you have to give them to!
6) Reading the Dover riddle (again), you figure out that you need to go to the bridge at the Wetland gap. So you drive over to Handle Rd, park there and walk the lesiruely 20 minutes into the long, winding, broken, old bridge. You figure out that the prime step you need is 107 and start counting wooden slats. You get to 107 and find.. nothing. Well, maybe it's from the other side. So you start over there, count in 107 and find... well half of you found it on the first try, half had to go back multiple times but eventually you found it! A set of inititals "BY" carved into the bridge with a line and 4 dots above it.
7) This is where the "cloudless rain" comes into play. Very gently, you pour little drops of water into the four holes and place the Eternal Map (that's what the backside of the Dover clue with all the seemingly random dashes is) over the plank. The water in the 4 bridge holes seep through the paper (this is why that was the only paper that was thin) and show you which four dashes are relevant to your next task.
8) Now that you know which four gravestones you need to find at the cemetery (the Eternal Map is a map of the cemetery), you head over to the West Dover Cemetery and get the last names of those four off the headstones: Howe, Leonard, Corse and Deane.
9) You've got 4 names, now you need 4 bartenders. This is where the backyard game at the 1846 Tavern comes in handy. You shoot some arrows or maybe throw some horseshoes and you get the clue that "Saloon, Joes, Toscanella and Dots" are the 4 restaurants you need. Now, how do you know which name to give to which bartender? That's what the worksheet on the bottom of the front of the Dover clue is for. "Alpha" with a cross and down arrow indicating to put the 4 last names from the cemetery alphabetically, and "Alpha" with a beer mug and an up arrow indicating to put the 4 names of the restaurants alphabetically.
10) You go to the 4 bartenders, give them each their passwords and they in return each give you the words "District One School House". This is where the rule that GOOGLE CAN BE WRONG becomes super important. If you googled it, you got the District One School House in Somerset, which is a totally different town and about a 45 minute drive. If you followed only the maps that we gave you, then you found the District One School House in East Dover, about a 10 minute drive.
11) You drive to the schoolhouse, get the year 1790 off the front and you're done! You head back to The Hub with the "Expert Key" of 1790-1779=10. Congratulations! You did it! You sign the book to get entered in the Easy level cash prize, breathe a sigh of relief and enjoy a fleeting moment of accomplishment. Then you get the Expert clue...
12) That's it? Just 1 two-sided sheet in hard to read cursive? No map? Nothing? Oh great.
13) This Expert Clue was built to trap you into taking a long hike into the woods where you find nothing. That's what the "Many will think they are on the right trail to discovery..." part was all about. That was a warning to you that this isn't as simple as you think it is.
14) The most difficult part of the 2016 Challenge was figuring out what the title and first two paragraphs of the Expert Clue meant. Here are the key phrases that were trying to shout out to you:
"His Home BASE TOO"
"Old numbers versus new numbers"
"...to learn who was born nearBY, NEARY..." (the word BINARY)
"On" and "Off" are capitalized.
So what do all these clues mean? It means that the Expert Key of "10" is in fact written in binary. So it's not "10", it's 2. In binary counting, 10=2 and 11=3.
15) With the Expert Key being 2, the equation in the middle of the page becomes easy. 17-2=15, 15-2=13, and so on. Translate those numbers to letters and you get "Omega --> Alpha".
16) This tells you to use the alphabet backwards on the next line of numbers which gives you "Wilmington". So you head down there and get the number of children from Molly Stark's statue. She had 11 kids. This completes the fraction of Expert Key/Number of Children, which is 10/11. But remember, we're in binary so it's not 10/11, it's 2/3.
17) With the right fraction, you can head down the Hoot Toot and Whistle trail 2/3 of the way, or drive down to the dam and go up a 1/3. Either way, you end up at side trail about an hour walk up from the dam that suddenly has a long rock wall along the north side. You follow it to the stone house where there are 6 main stone pillars in the center.
18) You head back to the Hub, tell them their were 6 and they told you, "yes but actually whent the game master made the game he/she missed one and so for the purposes of the game, the phase 1 key is 5". Hey, no one's perfect.
19) Phase two of the Expert level was actually really simple. You take the phase one key of 5, which in binary is 101, and literally write it across the top of the number matrix. You multiply each column by either 1 or 0, which cancels out the middle column, leaving you with 10 numbers to turn into letters. You unscramble them to "Whitingham" and head down to Brigham Young's birthplace (remember the BY initials from the bridge?)
20) You snap a photo in front of his birthplace on Stimpson Hill, then head back to the Hub and...
21) Congratulations you're done!
EASTER EGG: The 2016 sweeping "V" logo was actually a map. If you lay it over a real-life map of Southern Vermont, the top of the V is Stratton, the bottom of the dip is the Little Red School House, the top of the other side is the stone house and the final point of it is Brigham Young's birthplace. Fun, right?!
GRAND PRIZE CASH POT & CHARITY DONATION
THE GRAND PRIZE CASH POT
To give Adventurers a truly awesome prize, $10 of each adventure pass is put into a grand prize cash pot. The more people that play the game, the more you can win!
After adventure season closes on Sept 1st, Adventurers will be randomly chosen and spilt the grand prize cash pot.
Four years ago, a family member of one of the event organizers was diagnosed with cancer. After years of treatment and care at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston, the cancer was pronounced virtually undetectable.
ADVENTURE WRAP PARTY weekend.
October 7th, 2016 at the West Dover Inn from 1-4pm.