Fantasy, adventure and fortune all yours for the taking - if you can find it.
WHAT IS THE GREEN MOUNTAIN ADVENTURE CHALLENGE?
The Green Mountain Adventure Challenge is an epic real life action-adventure game. It is a legit physical fitness and mental challenge where you get clues and have to go find the solutions hidden in the forests, mountains, rivers, old buildings, etc around the local Vermont area.
Solve the clues right the first time and you'll spend no more than 2 days exploring ancient forests, climbing mountain summits, solving mysterious codes and enjoying spectacular Vermont scenery.
Perhaps the best part is the satisfaction you'll feel at having solved a series of mind-bending puzzles to discover a secret world hidden in plain sight!
When is the adventure challenge?
The Adventure Challenge is open right now, 7 days a week!
The entire "Adventure Season" opened on May 27th and stays open until September 5th. You can sign up today and begin the Challenge any day, including weekends, before August 31, 2016. The last day of the Challenge is Sept 5th, 2016 so you must complete it by then.
HOW DO I CHECK AVAILABILITY?
The Adventure Challenge game itself has unlimited availablity every day and does not sell out, so you do not need to make any reservations with us. The only reservation you need to make is with the inn you want to stay at (if you purchase the lodging package for 2). After you make your reservation, just show up at the inn and they will tell you where to begin! Have fun out there!
2016 Adventure Challenge
Getaway for 2 PEOPLE
includes 2 nights lodging, breakfast each day, a lunch, the Adventure and more!
Special Summer Sale price available until July 25th!
- 2 nights (weekends and/or midweeks) anytime before Sept 3rd, for 2 people in a standard room at any of the following Adventure Inns: Deerfield Valley Inn, The Grey Ghost (pet friendly), The Kitzhof, The Matterhorn (pet friendly), the Mountaineer Inn, The Big Bears, Cooper Hill Inn, Layla's Riverside (pet friendly), and the The Lodge at Mount Snow, West Dover Inn, The Weathervane
- 2 Adventure Passes
- Breakfast for 2 each morning and a light trail lunch for 2 one day
- Adventure kit for two that includes 2 shirts, 2 water bottles, 2 backpacks, 2 notebooks with pens
- $10 donation to our selected charity
- $10 donation to the grand prize cash pot
- Kids 15 and under are free to join their parents
- Minimum of two registered adults per package, so $359 total
- Additional charges for extra people, pets and upgrades may apply at innkeeper's discretion
- Vermont state lodging tax will be collected by the innkeeper
2016 Adventure Challenge Pass for 1
(lodging not included)
One pass to the 2015 Adventure Challenge valid for use anytime
from May 27th-Sept 5th, 2016
- $10 donation to our selected charity
- $10 donation into the grand prize cash pot
- No lodging or food included
- Add Adventure kit that includes (1) tshirt, (1) water bottle, (1) backpack and (1) lunch for $45 additional.
WHEN IS THE ADVENTURE CHALLENGE?
You can sign up for the Challenge any day before August 31, 2016. You have until Sept 5th to finish it. You can choose to complete the adventure on consecutive days or break it up into different days, completing it at your own pace.
WHAT KINDS OF MENTAL AND PHYSICAL CHALLENGES?
Hiking mountain summits, solving codes and riddles, decoding vague old maps, finding your way through dense Vermont forest and other challenges await. At some point, you may end up lost and confused and want to give up - that's when the real challenge begins.
About 35% of people that begin the Challenge give up and never finish it.
WHAT TRAILS DO I HAVE TO HIKE/BIKE?
As you go along the Challenge, you will find clues and maps. Some of the maps are very detailed, some are very vague. It is up to you to determine what the maps mean and choose which trails to follow and for how long to follow them. If you can't figure out the clues, you might end up wandering in circles for hours.
The trails range from easy to moderate with a few steep inclines. All of the trails are in Southern Vermont. You can hike, bike, walk or run the trails as you see fit.
WHAT IF I DON'T NEED TO STAY AT AN INN OR LODGE?
You do not need to purchase a Getaway Package to do the Adventure Challenge. If you already have another place to stay, you just need to purchase Adventure passes above ($95 each).
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
At minimum, you need to bring:
- Comfortable shoes and outdoor clothing
- Water and snacks for long days outdoors
- A camera or a smartphone with a camera
- A car to get around the area
- Bug spray
- A compass (optional)
In addition to this list, you're allowed to bring any items you think may help along the way.
WHERE DOES IT TAKE PLACE?
The Adventure Challenge takes place in the town of Dover, Vermont and surrounding towns.
WHAT IF WE HAVE MORE THAN 2 PEOPLE?
Each Adventure Getaway Package includes two nights lodging in one standard room. Some inns may allow extra people in the room at no additional charge. If you need a second room, you'll need to buy a second Getaway Package.
After you have secured your rooms, buy any additional Adventure passes below for the extra people. Remember, each Adventure Getaway Package includes two Adventure passes - so if you have 3 people in a room, you need to buy 1 extra Adventure pass below.
THIS SOUNDS LIKE AN EXTREME VACATION?
Yes, the Adventure Challenge is a mentally and physically demanding event. This is not a couple of nice days hiking through the woods. You will be challenged, and possibly frustrated at times, and it requires a basic level of physical fitness to complete.
If you were looking for a relaxing hiking vacation, we recommend visiting the "Hiking" and "Lodging" pages on this site for details on awesome hiking trails and discounted vacation deals that will give you a relaxing, enjoyable Vermont vacation.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COMPLETE?
The fastest time in past years was 1.5 days. Most people take a minimum of 2 days. You DO NOT need to camp or spend overnights in the forest.
WHAT IF SOMEONE COMPLETES THE CHALLENGE BEFORE ME?
The clues and secret objects to be found are permanent and will be there for you to find no matter when you begin. This is not a first come, first serve event. No one can take them away.
IS IT FOR KIDS OR ADULTS?
The adventure made is for both adults and teens. Due to the difficult nature of the challenges, children under 18 must have a parent with them at all times.
THE 2016 GREEN MOUNTAIN ADVENTURE CHALLENGE - BACKSTORY
THE TIME CAPSULE OF LIGHT AND SHADOW
During recent routine construction to put new sidewalks in along the main road in town, the construction crew came across a mysterious antique box that had been buried years ago, and many feet below the ground. After some careful excavation, they were able to remove it in tact. Inside they found something that they never expected.
Inside was a time capsule. Photos, maps, artifacts and clues from a bygone era. With each item pulled out of the capsule the questions grew: who put it there and when, why is does it exist, what does it all lead to?
The one thing we have been able to determine so far is that it appears to be a puzzle meant to be solved. Some of the initial clues are sketchy at best but there seems to be enough to get started on the journey.
We leave it up to you to solve.
THE 2015 GREEN MOUNTAIN ADVENTURE CHALLENGE - WALKTHROUGH.
THIS IS LAST YEAR'S GAME ANSWERS AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE 2016 CHALLENGE. IT IS SIMPLY MEANT TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF HOW THE GAME HAS GONE IN THE PAST.
1) You receive the blank scroll, instructions and crayon at the tavern. The instructions tell you to go to the livingroom at the inn.
2) In the livingroom you find the shadowbox with the old journal. It refers to JJ, a waterfall and has a riddle "when faced with nothing, illumination will guide the way".
3) Not knowing where to go or what to do, use the illumination riddle on the blank scroll to reveal the letters "FIDDLEHEADS" and the Fiddlehead logo when the scroll is held in light a certain way (face down towards the ground looking down on it).
4) Either via Google or asking around, you discover that there is a store in Dover called Fiddleheads. At Fiddleheads you find another shadowbox with "The Etching Game" the old map of Johnson Hill and another riddle. This one refers to JJ, how when he was 11 he got a country, Ellis' wall and fulfilling the scroll at the 1846. You take the envelope with the fiddlehead logo on it and inside is a copy of the old map, riddle and on the back in a present day road map to Johnson Hill.
5) Both the old map and the present day map have the locations of the Johnson Hill Cemetery and the old Ellis Brook Damn on them. (The old map even has the number of steps you walk in from the end of the road, 170).
6) At the Cemetery you find Joab Johnson's gravestone and etch his first name on to the blank scroll using the crayon. You know it's the right grave because when he was 11 it was 1776, the year America was founded.
7) You walk down the hill to Ellis Brook, follow it north for 200 yards and discover the old stone wall damn. On the log in the middle of the damn is the fiddlehead logo which you etch on to the blank scroll.
8) With both the Joab and dam log etchings on the scroll, you return to the 1846 Tavern to unlock the Archery Game. After hitting the target, you receive a math puzzle that tells you to go to Wilmington and find the years Memorial Hall, Pettee Library and the old flood happened.
9) Once in Wilmington, you find the years and add the random numbers on the sheet to them to get the coordinates of the top of Haystack Mountain.
10) You hike to the top of Haystack Mountain, take a photo of you up there and head back to Fiddleheads to prove your ascent. You know to go to Fiddleheads by the Fiddlehead logo located on the bottom right of the sheet next to where it says "prove your ascent".
11) After you sign the Easy Level finishers' book at Fiddleheads, you receive the clue "Joe's. No Geek. Bon Appetit."
12) Next door at West Dover Joe's (located next to Vermont Geeks), you find a framed photo on the wall of a pizza in brick oven. It also has - . . and a fiddlehead logo in the flames to let you know that you've found the right clue.
13) The clue of the brick oven pizza takes you to La Pizzeria Toscanella in Dover. There you find a framed photo of saloon doors and the numbers 4 2 2 2 2 (the 4 was hidden in the "A" of Saloon).
14) The saloon door clue take you to the Valley View Saloon across the street where you find a framed photo of a kayak on a lake and the numbers 3 7 8 9 0 in the clouds.
15) This is where most people ended the challenge. Not knowing where to go next but thinking you have to kayak, some people figured out that the photo itself was from Somerset Reservoir - but the event rules state everything is in Dover or Wilmington. The kayak photo of Somerset was a fake clue - evil, we know.
16) The real clue were the numbers and - . . When unscrambled, they give you 42.832 and -72.902 which are the coordinates to an island in the middle of Harriman Reservoir.
17) There were two ways to get to the island. One was to kayak, the second was to hike the trail along the west edge of the lake. If hiking, you go down about a mile, make a left hand turn, walk another 5 minutes to the lake edge and you end up 100 feet from the island. Swim across and you're there.
18) At the coordinates on the island is a silver plaque with all kinds of letters, numbers and symbols on it. This was meant to make you quit.
19) Some of you persevered and figured out that the letters, numbers and symbols were actually gmac2015.com (which you could also see on your t-shirt)
20) At gmac2015.com is a riddle that tells you to go take a photo in front of the Molly Stark statue and email it to us.
21) Congratulations you're done!
GRAND PRIZE CASH POT & CHARITY DONATION
THE GRAND PRIZE CASH POT
To give Adventurers a truly awesome prize, $10 of each adventure pass is put into a grand prize cash pot. The more people that play the game, the more you can win!
After adventure season closes on Sept 1st, Adventurers will be randomly chosen and spilt the grand prize cash pot.
Four years ago, a family member of one of the event organizers was diagnosed with cancer. After years of treatment and care at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston, the cancer was pronounced virtually undetectable.
ADVENTURE WRAP PARTY weekend.
October 7th, 2016 at the West Dover Inn from 1-4pm.